As COVID-19 continues to disrupt live entertainment and art, we are inviting submissions for our May podcast edition. You can listen to the April edition if you’d like to get a feel for it.
MAY PODCAST EDITION
Our theme for the May podcast is ‘time after time’, but it is not compulsory — wordsmiths are invited to explore the theme or simply ignore it altogether. The deadline for submissions is 17 May.
As this is going to be a podcast uploaded to the Words Out Loud website, rather than a more ephemeral live event, we have a few guidelines that we would ask you to follow:
1. Please keep the recordings to 5 minutes or less. We’re not editing these, so if they are too long, they simply won’t be included.
2. You can record in any way you can as long as it produces an MP3 file to send via email (wolballarat AT gmail.com). Phone recordings are fine.
3. Please try to keep your material to a (somewhat permissive) PG rating. A bit of swearing here and there is fine, as are subtle adult themes. But if your work is likely to make a 12-year-old cry or wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, then maybe save it for when the live events resume. Editorial discretion will be applied in deciding whether to include pieces in the podcast.
4. You need to either read your own work, or else have permission in writing from the author to read their work (forwarded to us via email).
5. All submissions must be received no later than midnight, Sunday 17 May, 2020. We intend to make the podcast live on Thursday, 21 May, when Words Out Loud was scheduled.
And if you want to include a photo along with your recording, feel free. It can be of yourself, something related to your work, or just an image that reflects these strange news days and how you’re getting through them. We’d love to see what you’re doing with yourselves and might even put some of them up on the website to accompany the podcast. As with recordings, please make sure these are your own work.
By submitting your audio file to email@example.com, you are giving consent for the audio to be included in Words Out Loud: The Podcast and published, in full or in part, on the Words Out Loud Ballarat website and promoted on the WOL Facebook page. While all intellectual property rights related to the recording and its contents will remain with the author, you are agreeing to grant Words Out Loud non-exclusive publication rights to the audio recording itself. By submitting the audio file, you are affirming that the copyright of the contents is owned by yourself, or else have included written permission from the copyright holder.
If you submit an image file along with your audio, you are giving consent for the image to be published on the Words Out Loud Ballarat website and promoted on the WOL Facebook page – unless you specifically instruct otherwise. You are also affirming that the copyright of the image is owned by yourself. All intellectual property rights will remain with the image owner.