Words Out Loud is putting out a special podcast as part of the Melbourne Spoken Word Festival Online and is calling for submissions.
The festival replaces the Melbourne Spoken Word and Poetry Festival, forced online by social distancing requirements in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It runs 24 July to 9 August.
The Words Out Loud podcast will go live on (updated) 30 July, with the deadline for submissions being midnight on (updated) Sunday 26 July. This is an unthemed event, with a 5-minute limit. Accompanying images are welcome.
HOW TO SUBMIT
As this is going to be a podcast uploaded to the Words Out Loud website, rather than a more ephemeral live event, we have a few guidelines that we would ask you to follow:
1. Please keep the recordings to 5 minutes or less.
2. You can record in any way you can as long as it produces an MP3 file to send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone recordings are fine.
3. Please try to keep your material to a (somewhat permissive) PG rating. A bit of swearing here and there is fine, as are subtle adult themes. But if your work is likely to make a 12-year-old cry or wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, then maybe save it for when the live events resume. Editorial discretion will be applied in deciding whether to include pieces in the podcast.
4. You need to either read your own work, or else have permission in writing from the author to read their work (forwarded to us via email).
5. All submissions must be received no later than midnight, Sunday 26 July, 2020. We intend to make the podcast live on Thursday, 30 July.
And if you want to include an image along with your recording, feel free. As with recordings, please make sure these are your own work. Images will be used on the website and possibly in promotional social media.
By submitting your audio file to email@example.com, you are giving consent for the audio to be included in Words Out Loud: The Podcast and published, in full or in part, on the Words Out Loud Ballarat website and promoted on the WOL Facebook page. While all intellectual property rights related to the recording and its contents will remain with the author, you are agreeing to grant Words Out Loud non-exclusive publication rights to the audio recording itself. By submitting the audio file, you are affirming that the copyright of the contents is owned by yourself, or else have included written permission from the copyright holder.
If you submit an image file along with your audio, you are giving consent for the image to be published on the Words Out Loud Ballarat website and promoted through WOL social media – unless you specifically instruct otherwise. You are also affirming that the copyright of the image is owned by yourself. All intellectual property rights will remain with the image owner.